Three of the punctuation marks, which are the full stop, question mark and exclamation mark, are appropriate for use as a sentence endings.
Full Stop ( in British English ) / Period ( mainly in American English ) — ( . )
” ” This symbol represents text.
Full stop is the term used in British English ( UK ); It is known as a period in American English ( US ).
This punctuation mark indicates us ( as a speaker or a reader ) that the sentence has come to an end.
Using Full Stop or Period
1. It is used at the end of a sentence which is a complete statement, not a question or an exclamation.
- I hope to see you next week.
- She sent me a message.
- There is a book on the table.
- We have many problems today.
2. It is used at the end of a group of words, which are not structured conventionally. And It is used at the end of a command or a suggestion.
- Over and over again.
- Put a full stop at the end of a sentence.
- Let’s go out to dinner.
3. It is also used after a single word.
- A: Who invented the light bulb? B: Edison.
- A: What do you want to say him? B: “Do”.
- A: Where is the capital city of England? B: London.
4. It is used at the end of an indirect question.
- She asked wheather I liked playing basketball.
- They really don’t know how they should study.
- I’m asking what the day is.
5. It is used in some abbreviations. (If an abbreviation with a full stop comes at the end of a sentence, we don’t need to end another full stop)
- They will arrive 8 p.m.
- My son’s birthday is in Jan.
- There are some apples, oranges, carrots, etc.
For detailed information about abbreviations with full stop click here
6. It is used in website and email addresses.
- [email protected]gmail.com
7. It is used in numbers to seperate whole numbers from parts of numbers. ( a full stop, which is used in numbers, is also called “point” unless it refers to money )
- 5.7 ( five point seven)
- $8.20 ( eight dolars and twenty cents )
For Full Stop;
- We use the full stop ( . ) at the end of a sentence.
- We shouldn’t use any spaces between the last letter and the full stop.
- We should use one space between the full stop and the first letter of the next sentence.
- If we write next sentence, we should write the first letter of the next sentence with capital letter.