USING “SO THAT” ( AS A CONJUNCTION ) IN ENGLISH
There are various ways to express the purpose or reason in English. One of them is “So That”
We use “so + that” as a conjunction to introduce clauses of reason and explanation.
We can say that it is used to explain why an action is done.
- “so that” is a conjunction which is used to join two clauses. ( one of them expresses an action, the other expresses the purpose )
- “so that” is used before the clause which indicates the purpose.
- The clause after “so that” generally includes a modal ( like can, could, may, might, will or would ).
A Clause ( Action ) + So That + A Clause ( Purpose )
We can also use “in order that” for expressing purpose in english.
For using “in order” that to express purpose in english click hereuses
For “so that” vs “so” click here
You can see many examples related to using “so that” below;
- We left a message with her secretary so that she would know we have come.
- My son went to bed early yesterday so that he could get up on time this morning.
- Steven is so angry so that he will not accept to talk with us.
- I am cutting the cake into many pieces so that everyone can get a piece.
- He decided to stay at home so that he could watch the match on TV.
- It is too late so that we can not marry.
- They are studying English every day so that their english can improve.
“ that” can be omitted in an informal usage.