Using Neither … nor and Subject Verb Agreement… Please follow the list for detailed expressions and examples;
Subject Verb Agreement with Neither … Nor
SINGULAR OR PLURAL ?
When we are using ” Neither … Nor … ” or When we’re confronted with an ” Neither … nor” construction,
If both nouns used with “Neither … Nor” are singular, then we use singular verb. ( the verb is singular although the plural verb can also be possible )
- Neither the green dress nor the pink dress is available for now in our shop.
If one of the nouns is singular and the other one is plural, we need to go to the noun that is closer to the verb.
* If the closer noun to the verb is singular, we use singular verb. ( the verb is singular although the plural verb can be possible )
* If the closer noun to the verb is plural, we use plural verb. ( the verb is plural)
- Neither the employees nor the boss was at work.
- Neither Susan nor her friends are going to go to the party tonight.