Three of the punctuation marks, which are the full stop, question mark and exclamation mark, are appropriate for use as a sentence endings.
Full Stop ( in British English ) / Period ( mainly in American English ) — ( . )
” ” This symbol represents text.
Full stop is the term used in British English ( UK ); It is known as a period in American English ( US ).
This punctuation mark indicates us ( as a speaker or a reader ) that the sentence has come to an end.
Using Full Stop or Period
1. It is used at the end of a sentence which is a complete statement, not a question or an exclamation.
- I hope to see you next week.
- She sent me a message.
- There is a book on the table.
- We have many problems today.
2. It is used at the end of a group of words, which are not structured conventionally. And It is used at the end of a command or a suggestion.
- Over and over again.
- Put a full stop at the end of a sentence.
- Let’s go out to dinner.
3. It is also used after a single word.
- A: Who invented the light bulb? B: Edison.
- A: What do you want to say him? B: “Do”.
- A: Where is the capital city of England? B: London.
4. It is used at the end of an indirect question.
- She asked wheather I liked playing basketball.
- They really don’t know how they should study.
- I’m asking what the day is.
5. It is used in some abbreviations. (If an abbreviation with a full stop comes at the end of a sentence, we don’t need to end another full stop)
- They will arrive 8 p.m.
- My son’s birthday is in Jan.
- There are some apples, oranges, carrots, etc.
For detailed information about abbreviations with full stop click here
6. It is used in website and email addresses.
7. It is used in numbers to seperate whole numbers from parts of numbers. ( a full stop, which is used in numbers, is also called “point” unless it refers to money )
- 5.7 ( five point seven)
- $8.20 ( eight dolars and twenty cents )
For Full Stop;
- We use the full stop ( . ) at the end of a sentence.
- We shouldn’t use any spaces between the last letter and the full stop.
- We should use one space between the full stop and the first letter of the next sentence.
- If we write next sentence, we should write the first letter of the next sentence with capital letter.