USING “IN THE EVENT THAT” IN ENGLISH
“in the event that” is used to talk about things we should do in order to be prepared for possible future situations. In other words,
“in the event that” is a structure we use when expressing how we will take precautions for the possibility of something.
- “in the event that” is used before the clause which indicates the possible reason/cause.
- “in the event that” is used to indicate the possible reason or cause of the action which is mentioned before.
A ( Main) Clause ( Action ) + In The Event That + A Clause ( Possible Reason )
PRECAUTION + In The Event That + POSSIBILITY
You can see many examples related to using “in the event that” below;
- I will take an umbrella in the event that it snows. ( Action – Possible Reason )
( It snows – possibility / I will take… – precaution )
- She made a cake in the event that they came home yesterday evening. ( Action – Possible Reason )
( They came- possibility / She made… – precaution )
- I will wait at home all day long in the event that you call me. ( Action – Possible Reason )
( You call me – possibility / I will wait…- precaution )
- He always take a small bottle of water in the event that he should get thirsty. ( Action – Possible Reason )
( He should… – possibility / He always…- precaution )
For using ” in case” in English, click here
For “in case” vs “in the event that”, click here